DIGI 130 Projects Page

Savannah College of Art and Design - Atlanta, GA - A04 - Professor Karen Chesney - Tues/Thurs - 11:00 a. m. to 1:30 p. m. - Winter 2020

DIGI 130 - Short for Digital Communication; A class at SCAD dedicated to everything from managing one's social media presence to incorporating digital tools in one's own creative work.

Here, you can see my creative process in action, from previsualization to completion.

 

PROJECT 1

Assignment: to create a raster-graphics self-portrait in Adobe Photoshop. It must use at least 5 source photos and communicate who the artist is as well as their talents.

 
 

Project 1 Completed

To describe my process...

I started off with a picture of myself wearing a tawny hoodie and fedora. I went in and masked out (as to not totally destroy) the background. Next up: put myself in at least 3 places at once.


The panel on the left consists of two separate photos taken at Unicoi State Park in Helen, Georgia. I composited them to appear as one, which was easier said than done. I had to mask out the sky from one of them, paying close attention to the leaves on the trees. The tint of the water in both images had to be adjusted to look like a single lake.


The ocean on the right panel had a similar process going for it: two separate photos seamlessly composited. Then I replaced a sailboat in one of them with a motorboat and added some foam where the rest of the cube-like structure meets the water.


The back panel shows a grassy overlook and a view of the Atlanta, Georgia skyline. An overlook from somewhere else, as well as some bushes, were composited onto the skyline. The overlook transitions into the grassy bottom panel, and the sky fades into the starry night sky of the top panel.


Some other details, such as the old tube TV (featuring a photo of myself adjusting the camera, some desert visuals, and numerous distortions, adjustments, effects, and layers), a stack of vinyl records and the letterbox (black bars on the top and bottom) hint at my personality and hobbies.


Overall, I had a lot of fun with this project! I got more experience with the tools I was familiar with, learned how to use ones I hadn't before, and found new ways to utilize them all.

Project1_done.png
 

PROJECT 2

Assignment: to create a vector-graphics coloring page of relative complexity in Adobe Illustrator using a variety of shapes as well as line profiles and weights. A colorized version must also be turned in.

 
 

Project 2 Completed

To describe my process...

I went with the dodo-looking doodle from earlier in my previs process. It also seemed to have other features such as a string instrument/harp looking area, a leaf-shaped lower beak, extremely fat legs, and conch/Fibonacci inspired rear parts. A fun design for sure.

I went in and traced over my raster prototype using Illustrator's pen and shape-based tools. I also sent and added some dynamics to the image by means of line profiles (shapes) and weights (thicknesses). I did also made slight adjustments from the original sketches to balance out the composition.

To make a colored version, I mostly filled in existing shapes and made new ones to hide behind the outlines of the black and white version. I also experimented with gradients and a harmonic color palette.

Another fun project for me!

 
 

PROJECT 3

Assignment Option A: Use one or more photos, split the background, foreground, and other elements in Photoshop, and use them to create a parallax effect in Adobe After Effects

Assignment Option B: Use one or more classical paintings or artwork, separate certain elements in Photoshop, and animate them in After Effects. In short, "bring art to life."

I chose Option B.

 
 

Project 3 Completed

I took an illustration from The Gospel Book of Otto III and envisioned a complex and psychologically challenging narrative: the personification of the Slavic regions tosses the ball with a cross on it to the Emperor, who rolls his eyes as the camera zooms into the ball.

I started by going into Photoshop and creating new layers with copies of the ball, the Emperor's eyes and fingers, and the personification's arm. I then used the clone stamp and the healing brush tool to "remove" these features from the original painting (I had an extra layer of the unedited original for safety).

In After Effects, I imported the layers. I turned them into 3D objects and added a 3D camera, the reason being that I wanted to have the original 2-page illustration open up to reveal a portion of the modified version. A subtle puppet warp effect was applied to the arm to compliment its swinging motion. The ball was made to move with the arm before flying across the illustration and landing in the Emperor's hand. The camera quickly pans as the ball goes offscreen after the throw and enters the second panel before it zooms into it a few seconds later. A glowing effect was applied to the ball during this zoom.

Overall, this was a fun and quirky project to work on, as well as a welcome introduction to After Effects for me.